[TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:57:25 -0000
I have seen the cables of crankup towers break pretty quickly in that
environment.  You didn't say what your application is.  If there is not a
lot of windload or height, perhaps an aluminum tower would work.  If you use
a steel tower, expect to paint it at least once a year.   The wind, sand and
salt will blast the paint off of the tower.   I do not believe that the
inside of the tower tubes will be as effected since they are out of the
wind. There are certainly a lot of Rohn guyed towers in the Caribbean and
many of the owners spend their vacations painting them.  I have also seen a
stainless steel Rohn style tower, but I have no idea where to purchase one.

John KK9A / P40A