Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning: antenna selection, equip protection

To: "Robert G. Strickland" <rcrgs@verizon.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning: antenna selection, equip protection
From: Joe - WDØM <WD0M@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:39:14 -0700
Hello from one of the lightning centers of the
world.  I run a 4L SteppIR, the tower's been hit,
lost a couple of ICE protectors (graciously
repaired for free by ICE), and everything still
works fine.  My installation is at:

http://home.centurytel.net/WD0M/

Click on Ham Radio, then SteppIR or Lightning Protection.

Not sure there's anything that is 100 percent
lightning proof.  I run protectors on the cables
to, from, and at the tower, grounded the coax
shields to the tower at the top and bottom, and
all the other stuff routinely used to try to
persuade Thor's Hammer from doing damage.  YMMV

Sounds like you're going to be in a great location for DX.

Happy Holidays

73,

Joe
WDØM