Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:19:04 -0400
Hi Gang,

I didn't take the comments so far anyway as attacks on the STEPPIR or the
C31.

 I have the C31XR at  90 feet.  In March I apparently had the boom to boom
to element clamp come loose on mine which caused the  20 m reflector to
slide out about 3.5 feet to one side.  It did NOT seem to affect SWR or
anything else but it sure looked terrible. Due to wx, wind and lack of an
antenna crew it stayed like that for about a month.

N4BAA and I lifted it over the mast and brought it against the tower. I
Retightened the boom to element clamp, and we checked everything else in
preparation for the BS7 operation.  The antenna has been up there for 5 1/2
years No indication of any other types of problem with rivits, elongated
holes etc.

I was one of the guys that asked howard off the reflector why he was
changing to a C31 from a  4 El steppIR.

I have said for a long time than when I see a 4 El steppir at W3LPL, that I
will get one for here.  I don't think LPL has a C31 either.  I believe I
have seen where LPL recommends a steppIR on a 100 foot tower as the setup to
have if you can only put up one tower.

LPL's last recommendation cost me about $200 and at least a full day of
replacing my nice shiny copper ground systems all connected by BRAID.

Nothing against a steppir, I read the K7LXC tribander report and based on
that report I purchased the C31XR.  I have been pleased with mine.  The
steppIR antenna was either not in production or not avaialable tor testing
when this report was done.

For lack of any other reason that the 20M reflector came loose,  I guess I
would have to blame  operator malfunction and the possibility that I failed
to tighten the element enough when I put it together.  It lasted up there
for 51/2 years so I don't know what else to think.  Definitely not a F-12
related problem. The  C31XR came through hurricane Isobel and 105 kt winds
at this qth about 10 miles inland from Virginia Beach in Chesapeake.

I sort of think the 3 el steppIR and the C31 are close in performance on the
contesting bands,  I suspect the 4 El SteppIR might be a step ahead.

I am anxiously awaiting Howards results when he gets his C31XR airborne.

73

Chet  N4FX........until 2 months ago the ham previously known as  N6ZO