Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical plans

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical plans
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 09:57:29 -0700
The top hat tubes sound pretty unwieldy to me.  You're going to need to
guy the vertical section in a couple of different places anyway, so why
not just make the top set of guys partially out of large diameter
aluminum wire?  I built a similar antenna several years ago, and 48 feet
of 2 inch diameter tubing required four 1/8 inch diameter wires each
about 11 feet long to resonate on 80m.  I modeled it ahead of time with
EZNEC and it required almost no trimming when I built it.  The aluminum
wires were each wrapped once around the tubing and fastened  with a
sheet metal screw, then angled out at about 45 degrees if I remember
correctly.  Each of course had insulated line for the rest of the length
to their anchor points.  I don't guarantee that these dimensions will
work exactly for you, but they should be close.  The diameter of the
tubing and the top hat wires both make a difference.

73,
Dave   AB7E