Re: [TowerTalk] Removing a Rotator

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Removing a Rotator
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 04:13:13 -0000
The problem with replacing a rotator in a crankup is that
you have to almost totally remove the mast to make room to
get the rotator out the top of the top section. I helped a
friend do that once with a Triex LM-470. That tower folds
over at a point about 8' above ground. We removed some
sections of the antenna booms to get the mast horizontal.
Then we supported the mast out near the CG with a cradle
made of 2x4's. Then we jockeyed the mast, with antennas
attached, almost all the way out. It was a hairy operation,
though, because once you loosen the rotator clamp, the
mast/antennas start to move! We got it done, but I don't
think I'd want to do it that way again. I'd fold it over,
remove all the antennas and pull the mast almost all the way
out with nothing else attached. Make sure you support the
far end of the mast so it doesn't try to pry the top off
your tower with all that unsupported weight.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.