Re: [TowerTalk] sloping dipole arrays

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "'jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sloping dipole arrays
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:45:16 -0400

A common mode choke does not solve the issues of grounding the
shields of the coax in the K1WA design.  The K1WA design relies
on the 3/8 wave open coax acting like an inductor to tune the
unused slopers as reflectors.  Unfortunately, when the shield
is connected to ground, the ground connection adds capacitance
in parallel with the inductance and DETUNES the reflector.

I know of no commercial switch that opens both sides of the coax
and floats the shields.  Someone building an antenna that uses
this principle needs to: 1 )build their own switch, 2) work with
a length of feedline (5/8 wave ?) that will yield the proper XL
when SHORTED or 3) use a half wave of feedline and coils.  In
all three case you will still want an effective common mode choke
at the feedpoint.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV