Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole

To: "'Steve, W3AHL'" <w3ahl@att.net>, "'Tom Osborne'" <w7why@verizon.net>, "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:19:53 -0400
Maximum NVIS signal occurs when the antenna is 1/4 wave
above ground (33 -35' on 40 meters) - not at 1/8 wave (16').
Any analysis that recommends heights at or below 1/8 wave
is flawed in that ground losses are being ignored (work
done by the DOD).

At an antenna height in the 20 to 25' range a 40 meter
dipole will have a feed impedance in the 50 Ohm rage ...

There is no justification for the very low 8-15' heights
when elevations as high as 45 feet will provide increased
high angle radiation (> 60 degree TOA), lower ground
losses, and higher feedpoint impedances.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV