[TowerTalk] Ground rod connection question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection question
From: "Ray" <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:38:03 -0700
I have 3 ground rods driven in line from the four corners of my new 70ft
concrete tower base, a total of 12 ground rods. My intention is to bring
each #4 wire connected to the ground rod string up from the ground rod and
attach to the closest tower leg.

However, in reading some past TowerTalk lighting discussions it was said
that all the ground rods should be bonded together then attached to a single
point. If this is the case, I could attach all the ground rods together with
a loop of #4 wire that would go around the concrete base, then bring that
lead up to a single point tower ground.

My thought is that if I ground to a single point on the tower, I have in
effect lengthened the distance of the opposite side ground rods connection
rather than keeping it as short as possible. In my case, that would increase
the length up to 6 - 8ft. This doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

Which is the preferred method?

Ray,
N6VR