[TowerTalk] Homebrew Radial Ring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Radial Ring
From: "k3hx@juno.com" <k3hx@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 02:30:14 GMT
An article in one of the popular amateur radio magazines recently suggested
using stainless steel drain strainers in conjunction with stainless steel nuts,
bolts and lockwashers as a way to connect radials together.

You could bolt several such stainless steel kitchen drain strainers
at their perimeters to make a device which would surround your antenna.

One might also visit a "non-ferrous" recycling dealer (scrapyard) and see if
they would sell some stainless steel sheet or plate to you.

If you choose do drill your own stainless sheet or plate, use a drill press, a
quality drill bit. (none of the Harbor Freight garbage) lubricant and steady
pressure.

On my setup, I use bolts, "nylok" nuts, washers and "star washers" all of
stainless steel.  Got the hardware from a marine hardware supplier:
Jamestown Distributors.

You might also use copper or brass for the grounding plate with stainless
hardware.

72,

Tim

Globe Life Insurance