Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

To: Chet <chetmoore@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12 rivets
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:07:16 -0500
I have seen several Force12 antennas that have failed in my part of the
world in a tropical salt water environment due to corrosion and mechanical
wear from wind.

If I were assembling one, I'd be tempted to use swaged collar rivets:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/rivets.html
These would hold better - they grip the tubing tighter because they deform
the aluminum more under the collar of the rivet.

I'd also use something to chemically protect the rivet
(Boeshield/Corrosion-X) after it was installed.

Careful drilling "perpendicular holes" - better to go down the length of the
tubing a few cm so as not to provide a weak point in the element.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Chet <chetmoore@cox.net> wrote:

> F-12 antennas are pre drilled at the factory. The instructions with mine
> say
> if there are 3 holes, use 3 rivets and insert all 3 rivets in the holes and
> don't pull any of them until you know all 3 line up. If they don't line up
> you probably have that particular element reversed.
>
> On some of the driven elements they drill a 4th hole in case you need to
> adjust the SWR and on these elements only 3 of the 4 will line up. My
> instructions didn't say anything about a 2 rivet rule.
>
> If you still have 2 out of 3 rivets,insert a new one. Not sure what kind of
> failure you had. Did the problematic rivet fall out, did it get pulled all
> the way through? Just put a new one in.
>
> 73
>
> Chet N4FX

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.