Re: [TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:22:16 -0700
Gary,
I'm with Joe, good idea to take a portable AM radio and tune off a broadcast,
turn the volume up and check out the property.
Also, do the same with your car radio, drive all around the neighborhood and
check.  Drive under the power lines with
a cross street and see what you get.  In our area, when I drive under the big
hi power lines,  from about 4 houses away I get  RFI noise on AM.
So the RFI it extends out about 300 feet on each side of the lines.  I can't
imagine how it
would impact 160 meters !    I would be very careful about buying property this
close to the hi power lines.
I know what you are going thru, we spent a long time looking for our house that
we were comfortable with putting up a tower/ antennas.
We finally ended up buying in an unincorporated area of the county, it is
difficult to find antenna/tower friendly property.  I wish you
good luck on your search !

Bob
K6UJ