[TowerTalk] Hi Gain Hi Tower ??

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hi Gain Hi Tower ??
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:28:25 -0500

Hi fellow Tower Talkers.. . I built a 75/80 meter Four Sq, antenna system many
years ago. It was feed with an original DX eng. ( not the new Dx eng co.)
quadature. The  Hi Gain Hi towers were stripped of everything and a center
stinger was  built and   the system was resonantat 3.625 MHZ and the power dump
at 3.500 was 70 watts and at 3.825 was 100 watts.  I used the two insulators at
the two stinger vertical element with a 14ga wire attached at it's bottom and
travel down the inside of the 24ft base tower attaching at the feed point.
There are 108 evenly spaced 1/4 radials under each antenna, with silver
soldered connections at there interesting 8ga copper X and 9-  8 ft  5/8"
ground rods.  One at each tower base, one at the control box in the center  of
the array and 4 at the end of the centered X wire.I had a few 80 meter ops who
felt that because I insulated the top 38' stinger  at the top of the tower
resulting in a Shorter over hight antenna was a compromise.    So I
 got in touch with tim K3LR knowing he also had a 75/80 meter 4 SQ mad out of
Hi-Gain Hi Towers, He sent me a rough dimension of his stinger out the top of
his Hi-Tower. I  un insulated the stinger  and built my elements  and achieved
resonance with an additional 9ft height.Well it seemed My WX in eastern PA did
not like the 48' stinger  and I would loose one at almost every  Nor'easter
Storm.      SO I am thinking of going back to the original configuration with
insulated  top 2" tuber and the 14 ga wire down the center of the tower to the
base.  Thought's out there  Just kicking  around  ideas ? Wayne W3EA