[TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Remote Kit (need a solution)
From: Larry Bryan <larry@w8lig.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:20:16 -0500
At Dayton last year I bought the HDX-555 tower with the MDP-750 motor which
I now have installed at my home QTH. In the process of ordering at
Dayton, I failed to order the RMC-1000 remote kit and Ham Radio Outlet
forgot to ask me if I wanted that option so bottom line, the tower came
with the manual kit MCL-100.

So realizing my error, I contacted both US Tower and HRO only to be told
the RMC-1000 cannot be installed in the field. Now it does not say this in
the HRO catalog so how was a customer to know this. I was wondering if
anyone else has encountered this problem or come up with a solution to
remote the tower.

It would appear to me that I would need to replace the MCL-100 enclosure
with the two new enclosures for the RMC-1000 and rewire the limit switches
that already exist, into the new box. Then it should be just running the
control cable between the remote head and the tower. Unfortunately, I can't
even buy the parts from US Tower. So I'm looking for a solution if someone
out there has done this already. Otherwise I guess I will have to build a
remote kit with some DC relays to replace the manual toggle that exists
today.

--
Larry
W8LIG/NNN0VBG