Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping

To: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:18:58 -0500
Tic Rings ... some swear by them some swear at them, but they are essential for
some statin configurations.

 There have been an evolution of design since the concept "Polar research "
now with My Anderson SR.
Dave and  Tim  have some good points. With out a in-depth investigation  I am
just speculating on the numerous designs of the 1022 1032,  I assume you 45 has
1022's  the older design with the sheet metal then later cast aluminum  motor
housings had just  a little adjustment for and aft for gear engagement, and
there where three different gear heights from
1/2"  3/4" and 1"  , that gear height was to over come a BIG antenna  rocking
the ring on the rollers , when it was on the opposite
side of the tower  form the motor  causing slippage and un- orientation to the
directional pot.

 I over came a few installation  with that dilemma by   A making sure I had the
1"  gear mother and installing the motor on the tower
face bar ( this is for  east coast DX contest stations ) facing EAST ..  With
the lower antenna's going fro south to north
motor side  the majority of there life.

 The newer design flat blade with the sliding motor with the spring and I bolt
,  There  problems  in my experience have fallen into two categories. Water
incursion in to the sealed motor  and a NOT perfect level installation and  not
properly adjusted roller

Wayne W3EA