Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
>  I'm really excited about this work. I hope you find it  useful. There's
other stuff on the website about antenna construction. When  you're in
the tops of these trees, you MUST use counterweights so that tree  sway
doesn't break the wires. It WILL happen.

    The other thing you can do for wire antennas  (tnx to Jim for all his
insights) is to use a continuous halyard. That is, the  halyard should be one
length tied in a loop. Tie an overhand knot in it  somewhere and that will
give you a loop with which to hook one end of the wire  antenna.

    I've found that in almost all cases, it's the  wire antenna that breaks
- not the halyard. Since you've got a continuous and  functioning halyard,
just hook the wire back to it and you're good to go. It's  such a PITA to
replace a halyard with one end at the top of the tree that this  should save
you some potential future misery.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH