Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 17:06:29 -0700
On 5/26/2014 11:07 AM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:
The other thing you can do for wire antennas  (tnx to Jim for all his
insights) is to use a continuous halyard. That is, the  halyard should be one
length tied in a loop. Tie an overhand knot in it  somewhere and that will
give you a loop with which to hook one end of the wire  antenna.

Thank K2RD for the halyard idea. That's a good way to get a pulley up high without hiring tree climbers (expensive), but you give up a bit of height.

I've found that in almost all cases, it's the  wire antenna that breaks
- not the halyard. Since you've got a continuous and  functioning halyard,
just hook the wire back to it and you're good to go. It's  such a PITA to
replace a halyard with one end at the top of the tree that this  should save
you some potential future misery.

Rope can wear and even break if it allowed to rub over a tree branch, and even in some pulleys. Absent that problem though, yes, it's the weak spots in the antenna that break.

And a big thank you to Steve, K7LXC, who visited me 4-5 years ago and advised me that Rohn 25 would work for me if I installed it properly and didn't put too much on it.

73, Jim K9YC