[TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 07:46:23 -0700
Well!!!

There seem to be as many opinions on soldering tools as there are about automobiles.

As I originally posted, my old old soldering iron bit the dust and my primary use for it was in soldering up the PL-259 or similar connector (onto RG-8 or 213 which is what most of my coax is). I recognize the benefits of the crimping method and don't have a problem with it, but at this stage of life have chosen to stay with a method I am familiar with, the old original solder method. It was most interesting to see who uses what and their experience with the tool though.

It appears there are a number of good soldering tool brands still available and I thank all of you for your input, suggestions, experiences and sometimes dark humor about them.

Appreciated the comments on the butane solder tools too. Like many of you the tower is a considerable distance. However, a year or so back a friend was over to assist with a soldering need on a rotator wire break at the tower and had a non-corded battery powered (rechargable) portable iron which he claimed had more than enough heat to deal with a connector problem up a tower. I believe came from Australia. Didn't see any mention of this non-corded type of solder tool. Interesting.

Thanks again folks for all the help,

Don W7WLL