Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:56:56 -0500
Sounds as though the real beauty of the Metcal for PL259 work is that touching
the tip to the shell sinks off enough heat the tip falls below its Curie point,
which means the tip continues to generate heat until the shell too approaches
the Curie point. Sounds very effective.

But I can buy a crimp tool and a LOT of Amphenol crimp PL259s before I even
approach the $700 price of a Metcal 500. As well, not everybody can necessarily
fork out that kind of dough, so they might just have to make do with a crappy
Weller.

The Weller on my bench has served me well for the 10 years I've owned it (and
the 10 or more years for the guy I bought it from), so TBQH, the term 'crap'
might be hyperbole.

But, I'll admit, my dream solder station would be a Metcal. No question.

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPad