Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shorty Forty Hose Clamp thread
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:47:44 +0000 (UTC)
Good Morning All,

Doug, once again you are not examining the total joint situation. We
will get to that in a moment as there are other variables to consider.

You continue to make statements that may or may not be true, accurate
or repeatable. In reality, they represent your personal opinions, and
as I noted before, you are certainly free to do as you please. QSL?

Yet my PhD professor always cautioned, "beware the sample size of one!"
which I have always considered to be wise advice to follow.

Next, let's address how you conducted yourself with me. Where is there
any mandate that someone MUST reply to you within a specific time frame?

And look at the tone of your private email to me? What if I am traveling
or away, or gasp, have a life where forum email is not checked daily?

"Still waiting for your reply. You do have some answers don't you?"

The specific adjectives I used in my reply were ... rude and arrogant.

>From your past behavior, such as the "free climbing" discussion on this
same forum, you take the position you are 100% correct, and so therefore
everyone else is wrong. A review of the archives seems to confirm this.

Sorry my friend but your cyber-bullying is a waste of time on me. SK.

Now, let's move the focus back to the technical topic at hand ... and
from reading your other email on this, you don't seem to understand
how the typical worm-gear clamp actually works. This may help others
to understand how you reached your conclusions, which are incorrect.

A clamp is a form of a lever really, and there is a direct relationship
between the torque measured at the screw hex head and the band tension.

Torque is the measured friction between the screw threads and the band.
I can raise or lower that value by changing several of the parameters.

More friction between those two components, higher torque values.
Less friction between those two components, lower torque values.

We can also make the screw longer, or shorter with similar effect. And
we can mix the grade of materials of the components if/as needed.

Example, a 410 SS screw with a 201 SS band will have different torque
measurements that say a 305 SS screw used with a 301 SS band.

Or use a non-SS screw or housing, or a different housing design, or?
There are many many other variables that may impact performance.

We can by design change the plating, or add a chemical to the screw
surface. Any/all of this may impact the measured torque values.

This is also why manufacturers DO NOT advise adding anything such as
an extra lubricant. It will impact the torque measurements.

Don't believe me? Fine ... then consider this specific statement from
the NAS-1925 Rev 2, March 30, 2012 industry standard spec which reads:

(NAS = National Aerospace Standard)

"4.0 QUALITY ASSURANCE PROVISIONS

4.1.2 Test Condition. The adjusting screw shall not be worked,
manipulated or lubricated to increase the freedom of movement
prior to conducting tests, unless otherwise specified herein."

Now let's consider this statement:

"Take a look at a gear clamp.  One band slides over the other
as the clamp is tightened or loosened.  There is obviously friction
between the bands and as the clamp is tightened the friction increases."

Bands? There is only ONE band. B-)

I would suggest you take a closer look at a worm gear clamp. Other
than some exceptions, such as the LINED clamp or similar, and for
the typical clamp sourced from The Home Depot or an auto parts jobber
you will notice one end of the band goes into the housing, where it
engages with the screw and the install diameter can be adjusted,
along with the torque. The other band end is secured UNDER the housing,
so there is no obvious friction, as the band is not touching itself.

Then you stated:

"Many have tightened these clamps to the point where the slots become
distorted and the clamp strips. Now lubricate the clamp to reduce the
friction where the bands slide over each other.  Voila, the clamp can
now be tightened further without self destructing especially on smaller
diameter tubing. Try it."

Again, there are no "bands", nor any major friction with THE band, and
again, you are simply trying to "lube around" the design limits.

Now let's look at another design variable, and one that I will point
out the clamp manufacturer has NO control over. And that would be the
joint itself and why I even attempted to help others on this topic.

If the smaller tubing still has movement inside the larger tubing, we
need to look at several factors.

1. Is the clamp tight enough? See the previous comments on torque, but
there is reason to not assume that a high torque value is a guarantee
that things are correct. So let's go a bit deeper on this.

2. Has the clamp 'bottomed out'? In other words are you at the stated
min diameter? When you reach the end of the notches on the band, guess
what happens? The torque goes HIGH, it has to as there is no movement.

3. Let's look at how the joint functions, and this can quickly become
more than a simple exercise. Narrow the scope down to yagi elements,
which we typically will cut "slots" in the tubing. This allows us to
compress the larger tube to hopefully provide us with a secure joint.

Sometimes we slot only one side, sometimes we slot both sides. Why does
that matter?

The worm gear clamp can only compress or reduce the diameter of the
larger tubing to the limits of the total open area of the "slots".

We can confirm this visually by simply looking at the slots. Are they
closed up, no visual gap? If so, adding more torque may not help!

The length of the slot(s) is also a factor. Not really simple is it?

Consider that tubing wall thickness varies, and worm gear clamps have
no magic properties to cover too wide a difference in tubing sizes.

So yes, we can have a clamp at the proper torque spec, and the smaller
tubing will still 'spin'.

The proper solution here is not to add a lubricant (see above), rather
consider making the slots wider, or using slots on both sides of the
larger tubing, or ???. Again, it can get rather complex very quickly.

4. This point may help to also explain the what many have commented
on as to the outer element tips and the clamps not securing the joint.
There are many valid reasons, so let's take a look at one more next.

For very small diameters, the clamp housing's dimension can begin to
represent a large portion of the overall circumference.

The clamp housing has a fixed radius. It cannot bend itself to 'fit'
around the tubing dimension.

Now the side profile of the clamp no longer represents a circle, like
the letter "o" ... instead, due to the housing, looks more like a "D".

That may or may not impact the joint performance. My point here is to
simply show perhaps, just perhaps, there is more going on that we might
think as to why does a worm gear clamp work, or not work at times?

As to personal application? For very small "tips" or similar, I tend
to use 2x Type M all SS ("micro") clamps which are spaced out across
long slots AND ensure the larger tubing slots are NOT being completely
compressed when the "micro" clamps are tightened.

For larger diameter tubing, I will use an all SS 5/8" HD bandwidth
clamp (ultimate torque is 150 inch-lbs!) again observing if the slots
have compressed, or use rivets or other hardware like 8-32, etc.

I hope someone will find practical use of these postings, that remains
my intention as to correcting some "ham lore" that was a bit incorrect.

73 and have a great week working on your towers and antennas!

Billy, AA4NU