Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA disc....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA disc....
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:49:45 -0700
On 7/15/16 11:18 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
I was wondering if HFTA would be
of use if one had Vertical Antennas.

What I'd really like to see is a program like HFTA for vertically
polarized antennas. When I suggested it to Dean several years ago, he told
me that Parkinson's had begun some deterioration, so that he no longer felt
able to work at the needed level of detail. I've suggested that project to
another engineer with the math and antenna chops to do it. We'll see.

The calculations for vertical polarization are much tougher to implement. For H-pol, you can make the "soil is a nearly perfect reflector with 180 degree phase shift" assumption. For vertical pol, you can't.

The other thing is that for V-pol, the soil properties (resistivity, permittivity) have a larger effect.