Re: [TowerTalk] Coax stripping tool for crimp connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax stripping tool for crimp connectors
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:16:43 -0800
Does anyone offer a coax stripping tool to prepare Buryflex for PL-259 crimp
connectors? The DX Engineering coaxial cable stripping tool does a nice job
for solder connectors. Looking for something like that for crimp connectors.

As a total coincidence, I spent a couple hours yesterday looking into this very subject. Looking VERY carefully at the recommended stripping dimensions of two crimp-type PL-259 connectors (Amphenol 182130-10 and RF Industries RFU507-SI), and similarly looking VERY carefully at the dimensions of all the stripping tools I could find, none of the tools matched the requirements. The error was always in the amount of exposed dielectric: They never left enough, and came up short by 3 to 5 mm, depending upon the connector/stripper combo. Whether that's a disaster or not, I'll leave open to opinion. Maybe just jamming the whole business together a few mm tighter before crimping is "good enough."

Required bare dielectric
182130-10   8.8 mm
RFU507-SI  6.8 mm

Stripper's dielectric:
RFA-4400-02  5.2 mm
DXE (Platinum Tools) 15035  4.0 mm
RFA-4087  4.0 mm
Terrawave HT-32253   4.0 mm
... and several others were also 4 mm.

Note: N connector require totally different dimensions and in fact there are strippers that match them perfectly. Looking forward to either an announcement by DXE, or other options from this group.

Gary NA6O