Re: [TowerTalk] Cheap Hams

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cheap Hams
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 23:30:20 -0700
On Sat,3/25/2017 12:14 PM, Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk wrote:
I know how to run a business, albeit in professional services.  $2.7M YTD, $750
in unearned revenue, and a pipeline of $4M. But my professional experience is
irrelevant here, what's relevant is my experience as a consumer.

The problem, Rudy, is one of scale. The ham biz is less than a pimple on the butt of a flea as compared to niche consumer markets. The programmer who lit up your email with those incentives costs money. So do those who provide all those other services you suggest. If you've run a biz, you must understand overhead. We're talking wages/salary, benefits, a place for him/her to work, accounting, taxes, utilities, etc.

Elecraft is a ham company that's really doing it right. Their marketing is first rate -- it's run by a couple of hams who at the very beginning established an email reflector to keep in touch with their customers. The owners monitor that list daily and respond when needed with real answers. They use that list to help understand their customers' needs and desires. I've been using their gear since 2003, and in that time, I've never seen them make a biz decision that wasn't a good one. All of their key products have been "right" for the marketplace. None have been failures. They get LOTS of input from their customers, with nothing to filter it out. Their customers are providing the sort of support to each other that you've suggested vendors supply -- Elecraft doesn't have the expense of doing that. And they do have great service. Another thing they've done right -- there are no dealers in NA, so no markup to a third party who ads no value! And if a potential customer wants to see one of their products in action, that email reflector will find a ham to open his shack to make that happen! To me, their approach is at least as good as what you've suggested, and might even be better.
73, Jim K9YC