Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:48:34 -0400
DB cables for exterior use are over kill and normally wasted money. They are typically heavier than normal coax which makes them unsuitable for vertical runs, or feeding, center fed, half wave slopers. On vertical runs I'd double the number of stress relieving coils as they make a good support anchor point. DB cables have the shield braid impregnated with a gel to prevent water migration if a stone compromises the jacket.

As as been said by many on here, the UF versions of LMR coax are not for exterior use. Times Wire lists the life at 10 years. I found this out after taking delivery of a 1000 feet of LMR600UF. I've been using it in buried conduit and hope for the best.

I had the same problems as others using LMR400UF. The standard LMR cables work fine. You can even use them for rotator loops with at least two turns in a watch coil spring fashion laid out on a flat plate. I much prefer BuryFlex for rotator loops though.

73, Roger (K8RI)