Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half Wave (and HFTA)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half Wave (and HFTA)
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 07:21:13 -0700
>Since terrain effects have entered the discussion, here's my 2 cents (probably
> less) on the subject. Like any modeling program, be careful interpreting > >HFTA
>results.   See my earlier post at:

> http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2016-07/msg00350.html

>N3AE

Thank you, Shawn, for this excellent posting.

15 years ago, while my house was being constructed here in New Mexico, I observed the same effects while trying to determine optimal heights and locations with HFTA. I showed my results to Dean, who commented "you have a very complex terrain profile". Well, yes, that's the way the real world is ! Sorry, but there is something wrong with any model that displays large changes in output with small, insignificant changes in the input. I shared my findings with a select group of folks. I did not share them with the entire Towertalk world. At the time, HFTA was new, and considered the best thing since sliced bread. Frankly, I did not care to bring on the wrath of the "true believers".

I have not used HFTA since then. It has no value in my complex terrain.

73,
Steve, N2IC