Re: [TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust ?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust ?
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 13:29:30 -0600
This is the DX Engineering vertical that I
have:https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-8040va-1They make a full size 80m
vertical that starts with 4" tubing. A good friend in IL just put one up this
summer over a lot of radials. It works really well.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com> Date: 1/1/20
1:14 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: TowerTalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]
Which Vertical is More Robust ? Hi Gary. Wow that sounds like an awesome
vertical ! 3" is pretty darn beefy. You and Rick (and others off line) have
answered my question. I mean, I could have even found tapering solutions
starting out at 1" and ending up at 3/8" and I wondered how that would stack up
against a "fat cigar" in the same wind <g>. As I explained to Rick after 40
something years of doing EE stuff and no ME stuff the saying use it or loose it
sure holds true. TU es 73 !Gedas, W8BYAGallery at http://w8bya.comLight travels
faster than sound....This is why some people appear bright until you hear them
speak.On 1/1/2020 1:54 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:> Hello Gedas,As a point of
reference I have a DX Engineering 80/40 meter vertical. It is ~57 ft high with
a big trap at 32' for 40m.It's 3" aluminum tapering to 1".  I live on a big
ridge and have some pretty high winds at times. When I first put it up I
thought I would need to guy it. It turns out that it is not needed. I've
watched during high winds and it doesn't move very much. I attribute this to
having a pretty low cross section/wind load.I would definitely go with the
larger diameter for strength especially since you're going to walk it up.Please
let us know how it turns out.73,Gary K9GS> -------- Original message
--------From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com> Date: 1/1/20  11:54 AM  (GMT-06:00) To:
TowerTalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which Vertical is More Robust
? Hi Rick es HNY !TU for that advice. I need to look up the weight of the
heavier duty fence pipe. As these are going to be elevated verticals which I
"pivot" into place by myself I need to look at what the total weight will be. I
have about 8' of 6x6 set in the ground then use a wooden frame that cradles
around the 6x6 and pivots the verticals into place. Kinda hard to explain but
it will put the feedpoint at around 10' off the ground, then of course the
length of the vertical. So I should be able to walk it up into place. Will
check it out TU.But let me ask my question again, is it better to go with a
larger dia pipe (even if it has a greater wind load) or better to go with a
smaller dia tubing with less wind load? Assuming the wall thickness is the same
for all the members.Gedas, W8BYAGallery at http://w8bya.comLight travels faster
than sound....This is why some people appear bright until you hear them
speak.On 1/1/2020 12:23 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:> Recommend that you
consider chain link fence "top rail" instead> of EMT.  Get the "1 7/8 inch" OD
variety.  It is the same> diameter as "1 1/2 inch" water pipe.  It is actually
intended> to be structural.  There is also a "1 3/8 inch" OD variety than> you
can telescope.  It is the same diameter as "1 inch"> water pipe.>> Rick N6RK>>
On 1/1/2020 8:13 AM, Gedas wrote:>> HNY to all !>>>> I cannot think of a better
time to start a new 40m phased vertical >> project then the dead of winter with
snow on the ground (as usual I >> could not get to it during the summer or
fall).>>>> Anyway, I have drawn up two possibilities for a pair of 33' self >>
supporting verticals. Both start out with a 10' length of EMT but one >> choice
starts out with a larger dia then the other before I switch >> over to tapering
aluminum sections.>>>> A) Starts out with a 10' length of 1-1/4" EMT followed
by tapering 5' >> sections of aluminum tubing (4' long exposed, 1' inside the
previous >> lower section) until the very top length section which will be 3/4"
>> OD dia. These will be standard DX engineering aluminum tubes.>>>> B) Starts
out with a 10' length of 1-1/2" EMT, then a 5' length of >> 1-1/4" dia of EMT
(4' long exposed, 1' inside the previous section of >> EMT) then followed by
tapering 5' sections of aluminum tubing as >> above. The only difference being
this choice would end up using 1" >> aluminum tubing as the very top piece.>>>>
So the obvious difference between the two are that choice A) uses >> just one
length of thinner EMT and overall thinner aluminum tubing >> sections to the
top while choice B) uses 2 lengths of larger dia EMT >> and then larger dia
aluminum tubing to the very top.>>>> I do not have the software to analyze
choice A) vs. choice B) in a >> high wind situation. I am uncertain if the
stronger, larger dia >> tubing with it's higher wind load will be a plus or a
minus in the >> end to it's overall strength. Any thoughts or comments on which
one >> will survive better during heavy wind conditions? TU>>>> Gedas,