Re: [TowerTalk] Intermittent rotation- TIC RING 1022E

To: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Intermittent rotation- TIC RING 1022E
From: w5wz@w5wz.com
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 13:40:11 -0500
FOLLOW-UP and AFTER-ACTION REPORT:

The intermittent rotation has continued to come and go, until mid-April, when it again ceased working at 24 degrees. It seemed to always follow either a rain and/or wind event; so I have been focusing on the motor, ring-binding, and outdoor connections. On Saturday morning I was again back up the tower. Continuity checks on all the wires OK. Unbolted the motor; checked and ring turns easily without binding. Brought the motor down & connected to controller. Works perfectly. I had a brand new potentiate, so I replaced it. Guts of the motor were clean. Back up the tower and reinstalled the motor. Still not working. I loosened the motor, pointed the antenna toward Europe, and tightened the motor in anticipation of IARU contest. Frustrated, came back to the ground and began thinking about possible failure points.

With the continuity checks from the shack to the rotor all good, then it would seem that either low motor voltage or a faulty or out of range pot signal could be the cause.

Wiring is in 4 distinct sections:
Shack to Single Point Ground Plate
Single Point Ground Plate to terminal strip in Antenna Switch Shed
terminal strip in Antenna Switch Shed to Cabinet at Base of Tower
Cabinet at Base of Tower to Motor (this is the only connection that is exposed directly to the weather)

Working from the tower back to the shack, I began breaking and remaking all the connections in the control cable. After each set, I tested for proper rotation. No change until I broke and remade the connections at the terminal strip in Antenna Switch Shed. All I did was loosen the screws and re-tighten. Conclusion was the CCW signal wire connection at the terminal strip, in the Antenna Switch Shed. *** Problem solved***

Because this connection is not exposed to the weather, I'd assumed it would not be the problem. With over 50 control wire connections here, never before had there been a problem.

--Scott, W5WZ