Re: [TowerTalk] Best Way To Clean Copper Ground Wire for Erico Cadweld C

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Way To Clean Copper Ground Wire for Erico Cadweld Connection?
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 23:09:52 -0700

I'm not sure the tarnish matters much in the first place, especially if the tarnish is copper oxide since copper oxide is one of the key components of Cadweld welding material (copper thermite).

_3 CuO + 2 Al    >   3 Cu + Al2O3 + lots of heat + lots of light

But if he wants to get rid of the tarnish, I don't think a wire brush is going to do a very good job on stranded wire.  What does work is Lime Away, or the more gentle Lemi Shine, followed by a water rinse.  I've used both.

73,
Dave   AB7E