Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 06:59:14 -0600
Jim Lux wrote:

but does the model actually show much difference? One can get way down in the weeds with this - put a tapered segment in that's 1 cm long, etc. But if the wavelength is 20 meters, a 1 cm transition is 0.0005 wavelength. I'd worry more about numerical instability than model accuracy at that point.

I have been going through the same exercise with a homebrew 15 meter beam. Can models like N6BV's YW be trusted for segments that are a small fraction of a wavelength ? What about the Leeson equations/spreadsheet for converting to an equivalent, single-diameter, cylindrical element ?

Some examples from my modeling:

- The 1/2" wide, 0.1" thick, 3.5" long, aluminum straps that connects together the parasitic element halves ?

- The 3" long swaging sections ?

73,
Steve, N2IC