Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 14:13:52 -0700

Well. I started out with a Prosistel PST-61D, and in addition to the OB2-40 I have a Optibeam OB16-3 on the mast.  It worked fine for a few years, but eventually the wind gusts here stripped a section of the toothed gear (not the worm gear) on the PST-61D ... and that happened while the rotator wasn't in use.  Some people have questioned that, but those that do don't understand the winds here. I live near the southern end of the Huachuca Mountains in southern Arizona, and the mountain range runs primarily SSE to NNW.  The winds are nominally from the south-southwest, and the mountain range tries to block them.  I live on the eastern slope of the mountain range, I live near the southern end of the range, and the blockage creates a zone of lower pressure in my area.  The winds are forced to snake around and over the end of the range and then backfill in my area.  The result is twisting winds that tear down the hillside with significant force ... and noise.  As I said, I've measured wind gusts as high as 100 mph on a clear day, and I've seen branches being ripped off trees 200 feet away from me while I was standing in dead calm air.   When we were first building our house and only had the slab but no walls, I watched one gust lift two 16 foot long 2x6's off the slab and throw them 25 feet away ... through the air the entire path.

When those twirlers (mini-tornadoes, actually) happen to hit my tower straight on, the force on the boom is no long balanced ... it's literally a push-pull situation where one end of the boom is being pushed and the other is being pulled.  The forces add!  The chromoly mast is 20 feet of 2 inch diameter, 1/4 inch thick material and of course it has some amount of torsional spring that can store some of that force and then release it in conjunction with the wind.  The stress on the rotator gears that results from all of that must be outrageous.

Anyway, I ended up finding a used PST-71D and installed that a couple of years ago (see anecdote below).  Since then I have had no problem.  Both of the Optibeam antennas have held up fine as well, with one exception.  The OB2-40 has dacron (or some similar material) truss lines that support the elements.  So does the OB2-40M, I believe.  Those lines are fixed to the vertical truss supports (the ones at the boom) with simple plugs that fit into the top end of the truss support.   They are held there only by the pull of the truss lines, at least unless Optibeam has changed things since.  In my case, the wind gusts have lifted the antenna elements high enough to pop those plugs out of the truss supports.  That happened to both of them a few years ago and it's such a pain in the butt to drop both antennas to fix it that I never bothered.  It's a testament to the sturdiness of Optibeam antennas in general that the OB2-40 elements have held up all this time even without the trusses ... although of course they do sag just a tiny bit more.  Early on I was worried that the elements might fracture over time due to not being supported properly, but every time I see the wind bend the elements into a C-shape like they did even before the truss supports failed I realize that the lateral bending action is far more severe than the up and down action.  In any case, I strongly recommend that you pin those plugs in place before you hoist up the antenna.

At this point, if I end up having trouble with the PST-71D I'll probably have to go with a prop pitch, but it's kind of weird to have to be concerned more about the rotator than the antennas.

Anecdote:  The PST-71D weighs something like 85 pounds, and I used a hand winch driven by a battery-operated drill to raise the rotator up to the 65 foot level on my 70 foot tower (winch at ground level, pulley at the top).  The drill didn't break a sweat and still had lots of charge when I was done.  I never bothered to calculated the stored energy involved since I had no way of estimated things like friction, but it's amazing what there is in a 1.5 Ah battery.

73,
Dave   AB7E