Re: [TowerTalk] Hazards of low soil conductivity

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hazards of low soil conductivity
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:15:23 -0800
I wonder if the Congo power grid distribution isn't SWER - Single Wire Earth Return, which was very common in the US early electrification of rural areas.

Fatalities did occur when the HV (8Kv and up) local ground was poor and the earth voltage gradients could be large.

I would disagree with Wikipedia that a single ground rod could be "5 to 10" ohms, when what I have measured is more like 25 to 35 ohms. The tower grounding literature agrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wire_earth_return

Static electrocution likely is legend, SWER is not.

Grant KZ1W