Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:05:21 -0300
Result: Short version--it works, to a point.

Long version:

Just to close this thread out and give a review/results, today I rec'd my
Weller(portasol) PSI100K Super-Pro Self-Igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron
Kit" (google it) from Amazon.ca for $219cdn.   I put on the larger of the 2
soldering tips included with the kit.(thinking thermal mass would help)

I went outside and soldered the exact same type of wire as I was trying to mend
the other day down in the far reaches of my property but out in the open.

Today I set up test jig out in the open.  Two ends of #12AWG stranded R90 black
copper were stripped and spliced together with a medium sized type Rosin core
60/40 solder. (Western Union type of splice)

Ambient temp 15*C (59*F)
Winds 20km/h- with gusts to 40km/h (12-20mph?)
Humidity 60%
Overcast; no rain or snow (not yet anyways, hi)

I was able to fire the iron right up and running it "wide-open" do a decent
soldering job in less than one-third of the time (5-7 minutes?) compared to my
much smaller 8 yr old Lee Valley Iron
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/72620-3-in-1-hand-torch-set?item=98K5851
It's anyone's guess as to the watt equivalent of the Lee Valley, but if I had
to give a WAG, it's probably a 30-50w equivalent iron which works surprisingly
well for what it is, however, it needs to be t-shirt weather and no wind at all
to get much use out of it.

I would guess it's only somewhat due to ambient temp but a LOT to do with the
wind.  It seemed like when gusts came up, the solder stopped melting well on
the copper.  That's strictly a non-scientific observation.  I was not amazed or
overjoyed with the heat from the Weller, but I can say that I was pleased that
it seems a few good steps up from the baby one I was using.  I think it would
likely take lots of Canadian Loonies/Dollars to move up a quantum leap from a
"125w equivalent" butane iron.

  Most of my antennas are located way out in a field or down in the woods where
running 300-400' of extension cords to the nearest 120vac outlet is not
practical, especially when there are xx feet of snow on the ground for nearly
half the year. A butane iron seems like the best compromise until Dewalt starts
making a 20V Lithium Ion 500w battery powered soldering iron that'll run an
hour on a charge.

I wonder if an open (butane or even propane) flame would produce a better
result on the copper if it was really cold or windy?

Maybe a "windbreak bucket" with a battery powered LED light in it with a
hole/slot cut out of it for those times when I wade through 2' of snow mid
February,in the dark, in blowing snow, while super windy and at a bonehead
numbing -40*C/-40*F temp for those emergency repairs that must occur midtest
during ARRL DX? ;-) (hmmm-I know my next project)

Thanks for the advice, info and stories and I hope this information, however
limited, might help someone in the future.

Mike VE9AA
Keswick Ridge, NB
(p.s.-I'll report back on my windbreak bucket invention Sunday afternoon during
ARRLDX)