Re: [TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)
From: <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 10:25:56 -0400
Up until the set of 83-1SP shells that did not even mate with their own body,
you could debate whether the 83-1SPs or the brand X SO-239s were at fault.

To be fair, all the vendors of the gear with the SO239s that did not mate took
steps to make it right.  That includes my sending them an 83-1SP which they
used to select SO239s that would mate.

An example of how this can be frustrating.

I have a grounding bracket at the base of the tower for all the coax going to
the antennas.  They were made by KF7P and had long barrels to join the coax.  I
decided I would install lightning arresters instead of the barrels as an added
precaution.  It meant undoing the waterproofing, replacing the bracket with one
that was already made and drilling  holes for the lightning arrester bolts.  My
wife was with me and said she could do all of this, other than drilling the
holes.  I went on to do other stuff as there is always plenty to do.

Every time I checked in so basically said go away, I am doing fine.  Later, I
could see she was getting frustrated.  I thought the heat and relentless sun
was getting to her.  Turns out, she could not get the coax cables to mate.  The
whole job was done except for reattaching the cables and waterproofing.  She
struggled for a long time, not wanting to admit she could not screw the
connectors back on.  Turn out, they just would not engage.  The coax was
already affixed to the tower on one side, and buried in conduit going back to
the shack on the other, so replacing it was not an option.  It was not clear
where the fault lied.  Since they both mated with the KF7P barrels, the logical
suspect was the lightning arrestors.  However, subsequent date points suggest
the 83-1SP could have also been the problem.

It could be component tolerances at opposite limits or unclear/non-existent
standards, but I have never had a connector not mate in 50 years as a ham.  I
suspect Amphenol has the bulk of the culpability here.  The incompatible shells
and bodies was the last straw.

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A