[VHFcontesting] Re: 222 Rig FS

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: 222 Rig FS
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:16 2003
I couldn't agree with you more, Sam.  I think many
VHF/UHF contestors got their start using FM.  My own
experience with VHF contesting started during the
radiosport contest (now the IARU contest) which was
originally a 48 hour contest and allowed contacts on 6
and 2 meters.  I had an Icom 230 10 watt rig with a 5
element beam, and made several simplex QSOs just
looking for ways to increase the QSO total.  Being
that the contest was in July, there was a little
tropo, and after a couple years of this, I was hooked.
 Around that time my friend Dave, KA0GOA, bought a
Yaesu FT221R all mode 2 meter rig, so we got to start
VHF contesting on SSB.

In our local area we strongly encourage and aid
stations to get on FM during VHF contests, as many
locals here have a 2 meter or dual band HT.  It gets
them a taste of contesting, while giving the
contesters extra points.  Several of the locals have
become interested in SSB on VHF/UHF and have either
purchased or are looking at purchasing all mode rigs.
This adds to the ranks of the SSB operators on 2 and
432, then.

Given the terrible way the ARRL promotes getting on
VHF SSB/CW, we need to promote this area of the hobby
any way we can, and FM is one of the best ways.  The
philosophy of the ARRL seems to be get everyone on 2
meter FM with an HT, immediately.  I think that is how
most hams get started today.  They may then migrate to
HF, to SSB on VHF, or lose interest all together.  I
don't even like the phrase "weak signal".  If you are
a new ham, are you going to spend extra money to get
involved in something with weak signals?  Probably
not!  Plus, why is a serious VHF station running 1.5
KW to stacked yagis, who might be 30 over 9 at my QTH
"weak signal" while the guy running low power on his
HT not?

73s John NE0P