[VHFcontesting] Encouraging FM use in VHF/UHF contesting

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Encouraging FM use in VHF/UHF contesting
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:16 2003
One change I would like to see the VHF/UHF contest
sponsors make is to add an FM only category to the
various contests. What better way to infect many the
FM only capable crowd with the VHF contesting bug than
to encourage FM contesting activity in general?
However the rules must be modified such that the FM
only ops are only ever really competing against other
FM only ops. Without doubt many of them will take the
next step and get on SSB/CW/JT44/FSK441/? with time.
This will be good for everyone in VHF contesting and
so called "weak" signal operating in general.

Most of us traditional weak signal ops will then also
put more effort into properly equipping our stations
for long range FM work than many of us do now. Then
many FM only folks will learn that it is indeed
possible to work someone 200+ miles away with normal
band conditions on VHF/UHF.

I'm always amazed at how much FM activity there is for
the sprint-like WI QSO party each spring, the FM
activity for that short event far exceeds the FM
activity in this area for all the rest of the VHF
contests combined.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj