[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution
From: rice@vx5.com (John Rice)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:39 2003
At 06:33 PM 4/8/2003 -0400, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:
>Fact: The more ice cream is consumed in London, England...the greater the
>number
>of deaths due to frostbite in Cape Town South Africa.

Fallacy: The more ice cream is consumed in London, England...the greater
the number
of deaths due to frostbite in Cape Town South Africa.

>Fallacy: By banning the sale of ice cream in London, South African lives
>can be
>saved.
>
>Lesson: Armchair analysts examining annecdotal information are bound to arrive
>at incorrest conclusions.

Lesson: Armchair analysts examining false facts are bound to arrive at
incorrect conclusions.

>Context: There is "no valid data" on which to know if participation level has
>changed over the past 10 years (according to Gene).  Therefore, we have no
>idea
>if this is a "problem" or not.
>
>All we know is that there has been a "cyclical bear market" when it comes
>to log
>submissions over the past several years.  The question is "why?".
>
>That is the only question that can be answered...and it must be answered
>by the
>very people who we can't seem to identify (according to Gene) those that
>participate but don't submit logs.
>
>Any conclusion drawn is the analysts version of an ESP QSO at best.
>
>Ev, W2EV
>
>ps...it's summer in London when it's winter in Cape Town (duh!)

Hate to burst your bubble. It never freezes in Cape Town. Average Temp is 74.
Average 'winter' temp is 66.

>pps...I disagree that there is "no data available".  We've been submitting
>electronic logs for a very long time...albeit not Cabrillo format.  Anyone
>with
>rudimentary spreadsheet skills can mine the information that would be
>useful to
>this discussion.

pps... I think you're significantly underestimating the size of the job,
here. The average
spreadsheet running on a PC is probably going to choke on a dataset
consisting of
maybe a million records or more.

John - K9IJ

-