Re: [VHFcontesting] Keying Amplifier before the Transverter

To: wa4kxy@bellsouth.net,"DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA)" <jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Keying Amplifier before the Transverter
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:22:30 -0800 (PST)
For the typical solid state brick and no tower mounted
preamp configuration I've had perfectly fine results
with the radio keying the transverter and then using
the AUX relay contacts of the DEMI transverter to key
the amplifiers. That way if the transverter does not
get keyed for some reason the amplifier won't either.
All of my amplifiers are hard keyed this way, I never
use the RF sensed TR switching that is typically
available with the SS brick amplifiers.

However if there are tower mounted preamps in the mix
then I would use the sequencer approach as already
suggested earlier.

I have also standardized all of my PTT keying for
everything to use closure to ground type configuration
and then add intermediate reed relays to the IF radio
connection as needed to make sure it works that way.
I'm also using these reed relays as a means to break
the DC ground path of the keying circuit between the
radio to the transverter. I do do this as insurance to
help avoid potential ground loop related RFI problems.

Duane
N9DG