Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m yagi on 432

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m yagi on 432
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:38:00 -0400
John: No actual measured experience here, just some non-scientific tests and
conjecture. Years ago I had a 5 element 2 meter FINCO  beam with a folded
dipole driven element. Used it with TV Balun for channel 14 reception. Was
comparable to a UHF TV antenna. Tried it based on the 40 meter dipole on 15
theory that 3/4 wave dipoles work similarly to 1/4 wave ones. Recently,
however, I tried my 6 meter 5 el CushCraft on 2 meters, and it works just a
little better than a dummy load. My guess is that the 3/4 wave dipole thing
works, but the key to if a particular antenna working depends on if the
matching can pass the desired frequency. With my FINCO, matching was
untuned, but with the Gamma Match on the 6 Meter antenna, it just didn't
work.--Mike, WV2ZOW