Re: [VHFcontesting] indoor antennas on 50 MHz

To: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>,VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] indoor antennas on 50 MHz
From: Dan_K9ZF <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:05:41 -0500
Hi John,
I've always wondered that about APRS.  I was pretty heavy into packet
back in the 90's, but when Internet e-mail became popular everyone kind
of lost interest in packet.  I considered getting into APRS some years
ago.  Computers have always been a hobby of mine as well, so it only
seems natural to combine the two...

So if I put all that time, effort, and money, into APRS and get a
station on the air, then what?  Yep, like watching paint dry.  That's
not for me.

The most interesting thing I've seen related to APRS is W2EV's HamIM.
Now that has potential to be interesting.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make with my post is it's hard to get
new people interested if they turn on the rig and never hear anyone.
And around here, and I'm sure you can relate to this as well, unless
it's a contest weekend chances are you aren't going to hear anyone.
Yeah, you can make contacts if you get on and call enough but they are
few and far between.  Compromise antennas will make it even more
difficult, and new people are more likely to listen than to call CQ.
And heaven forbid they should accidentally call CQ in the wrong part of
the band!...

Combine that with most of the folks around here are "contest haters" and
it's difficult to get new people started.  I hope someday I will be able
to put together a decent home station so I can invite people over to
contest with me...

Loops and dipoles have their place.  I have used them many times while
Roving.  But I wouldn't recommend them to new people unless they had no
other choice.

73
Dan
--