[VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Rule

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Rule
From: "John Lindholm" <w1xx@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:34:11 -0400
There seems to be more ink devoted to the "connected by wires" rule for
CQWW VHF than it's worth.  But let's address the subject.

First, the rule pre-dates my taking over directorship of the contest.
But that does not relieve my responsibility of interpretation.  Bill
Fisher's [W4GRW] $.02 worth seemed to hit the nail on the head with
further amplification by Kenny [K2KW].to prohibit remote
transmitters/receivers from being placed in every grid square and
controlled from a single location.  A check with the CQWW contest
hierarchy confirms that the rule has been in existence for at least 15
years as applied to the "family" of CQWW contests and never been
questioned previously.  The first part of the rule re the  500 meter
diameter circle actually should suffice but the "wires" extension of the
rules was intended to make sure it's intent was not violated by a
Philadelphia lawyer.

Interestingly, K9JK may have a good suggestion:  including "antennas" in
the 500 meter definition would obviate any need to mention "wires."

I also note that Dex in the original inquiry did not propose a specific
scenario in which he proposes to transfer RF from the transmitter to the
antenna without wires.  CQ-VHF is always open to innovation and should
there be a proposal that meets the higher good of the contest, we'd be
happy to entertain any such suggestion.

And, of course, someone has already clarified the situation of making a
QSO with the coax disconnected.  Obviously, this still constitutes using
an antenna, albeit a rather poor one, perhaps even an SO239.

I once did a "Product Review" for what I think was the first through the
glass 2-meter mobile induction antenna.  QSOs made with such an antenna
would not count in the contest [that's a joke!!!].

While on the subject of CQ-VHF, the contest is this weekend.  Nearly 300
certificates for 2006 were recently mailed.that's almost as many log
entries as we had just a couple of years ago.  USA rovers please note
that certificates are now awarded on a regional basis, resulting in more
certificates issued.  Good luck in the contest.  73!!

-- John, W1XX, CQ WW VHF Contest Director