[VHFcontesting] September Contest

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "SVHFSList" <svhfslist@svhfs.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] September Contest
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:51:14 -0500
I'm considering portable/rover operation during the September contest. This
would be my first effort from outside the fixed shack. I've got a ton of
questions, but I'll limit it to just three or four right now:

1.) I'm thinking of adding 10ghz which seems to be popular here. Anyone have a
10ghz transverter/antenna combo that they're looking to sell?

2.) I'd like to start off close to home. What is the best way to find good
sites within my own grid? (EM63)

3.) Considering driving to another nearby grid, especially if there is one that
is needed in Alabama by area DX'ers. Anybody looking for a grid in Alabama?

Operation would be done using my 2005 Chevy Colorado pickup which is currently
equipped with a Yassu FT-857D and two phased KU4AB 2 Meter loops. I also have a
1/4 mag mount for six meters, which is fine for strong e-skip, but worthless
for weak signal. I have a KU4AB loop for six that I could add as well.

When stopped, I have some small Yagis for 2, 222, and 432 that I could deploy
on a small push up mast. I could also toss the IC-910H into the passenger seat
and get another loop yagi to add 1.2ghz to the effort. A small transverter will
add 222 into the mix.

As always, thanks for the advice.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF