Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991

To: 'VHF Contesting Reflector' <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity in the ARRL VHF Contests SInce 1991
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:12:39 -0700
At 08:16 AM 3/2/2010, Eugene Zimmerman wrote:
>You are exactly right Duffey. Joe706 pack is not only welcome but desired.
>
>In addition to the one big ARRL VHF contest distance scoring should be added
>to the UHF contest. In fact the rules of the San Bernadino Microwave Society
>2 GHz and Up contest www.ham-radio.com/sbms/club_test/2ghz_up_test.html
>ought to be adopted for all UHF/microwave contests with the exception of the
>entries by clubs conglomerate score only - this works for SBMS but it
>probably too restrictive for an ARRL contest.
>
>We already have effective cheap yagis designed by Kent Brittain WA5VJB. I've
>mentioned them many times but no one seems to pay attention. They'd rather
>spend big $$ on a new commercial yagi or buy a used yagi with a bad design
>with the gain of a dummy load.

Having spent a bit of money on commercial antennas, I think it's safe
for me to say the following: New contesters may feel it is easier to
buy new commercial gear that they know will work then to spend money
on the test gear required to build their own. Joe706 types may not be
willing to build their own antennas no matter how easy the directions
seem to us. Joe706 may not to have access to the expensive BIRD SWR
meter required to tune an antennas above 432 even if they did follow
all the included directions. There are ways around these items, but
please don't push the idea to new contesters that they have to build
their own gear or be seen as fools for buying commercial gear. I'd
like to see us welcome any activity in any form, commercial antenna
or otherwise.

I fully respect the work SBMS does and their right to make their own
rules for their own contests, but I think if their rules were applied
to the national UHF contests, we'd loose people who could find
something easier to do with their weekends. From the above URL:
"Several such programs are available, including a BASIC <snip>." I
don't think people are going to use BASIC programs in favor of their
favorite contesting software. I don't have any issue handing out or
logging six digit Maidenhead, but I think this requirement raises the
bar too high for casual/newbie types.

Aren't we supposed to be making it easier for more new contesters to
participate, rather than inventing ways to make it harder for them to
figure out how to join us?

kr0ver

(New contesters, we really do want you, please come as you are,
commercial antennas and all!)