[VHFcontesting] Limited Rover K0BAK/R in FN21, FN20

To: Packrats Reflector <packrats@mailman.qth.net>, Vhf Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Limited Rover K0BAK/R in FN21, FN20
From: Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 17:11:09 +0000 (UTC)
= Saturday =

Due to a Sunday early morning flight, my contest rove will be Saturday only,
and can cover only 2-3 grids. :-(

For the first time since last September, I'll be back at Camelback Mountain PA
at the start (FN21hb, 2100'). New compared to June is a 5 element 6m beam for
the first stop only; it and the other beams will be up about 20'. Rest of the
rove will be operating mobile using a 6m Moxon, along with 10 foot beams for
the other 4 low bands. Power is about at Limited Rover max (200,200,60,100).

When contacts dry up in the afternoon I'll come down from the mountain and
operate mobile. Unfortunately, the turnaround time for this is well over an
hour. My default plan is to drive to and operate at the Reading Fire Tower
(FN20bi, 1200') and then stop a couple times along Route 222 and the PA Tpke in
FN10. However, my plans are usually overly optimistic, so I might just have to
travel directly from the mountain back home in FN20 with beams pointed toward
Philly on the road.

On CW, I have to use a software decoder, so can only get reliable decoding on
fairly strong well-formed signals. It's better than nothing. In the recent
Kansas QSO party, two-thirds of my contacts were CW mostly with mobiles, so it
works pretty well. [K2LIM, I'm working on it, OK???]

When calling CQ stationary, assuming I have cell coverage, will spot myself via
#rvrstatus tweets, which shows up on DX cluster and on aprs maps (K0BAK-6
apparently). Thanks to the roverstatus.info guys.

= Sunday =

In Las Vegas, afternoon, at the observation deck of the Stratosphere Hotel with
a 5 watt FM HT. Will try to solicit simplex contacts via repeaters. If you're
in Las Vegas and can see the hotel, help me out. :-)

Good luck to all,
Pete K0BAK