Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing rovers contributio

To: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing rovers contributions?
From: k7xc_tx via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:00:21 -0700
Hi folks from our new home in Silver Springs Nevada,  DM09jh.

Before moving to Texas in 2013, I did three trips as the 6M KW Rover, using  a
brand new Dodge 4x4 pickup equipped with a IC-706mkIIg, IC-PW1 1500W solid
state amp, 5ele full size 6M yagi that rode fully assembled/connected in a
cradle on the side of ladder rack, a 35' crankup tower mounted in the front of
the bed next to a 8KW gas generator that powered everything.  One the back
corner was mounted the latest generation of KB6KQ loops for 6 & 2.

On the center armrest in the cab of the truck was a small HP notebook and
interface running WSJT / N1MM software.

During the trip I perfected the art of high power 6M FSK441A MS while in
motion, making dozens of quick contacts from several very rare grids.

 Even though I was EME capable it was clear to me from the beginning that Rover
EME was a complete waste of time for the Rover as it just was too involved and
slow to make a single Q so I never even tried.

Rovers are Fast and Furious while EME is slow and deliberate, two completely
opposite worlds.

 Now the mobile 441A contacts filled in the long hours when there was literally
no one to work otherwise. Being in the middle of nowhere during most of each
trip, it was easy to glance at the sreen now and then and make a single click
to change messages and log Qs. The moment traffic became even remotely busy was
when I went QRT on Digital and SWITCHED back to CW/SSB modes as I can safely
log them in slow to moderate traffic.

It was amazing how well the 6M loop performed at 1KW out while traveling at 75
MPH!

Hope this encourages others to try. Your mileage may vary...

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Android device