Re: [VHFcontesting] New proposed VHF Contest rules

To: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] New proposed VHF Contest rules
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:23:31 -0500
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com> wrote:

> put there because of Distance scoring. With EME, the effort to work a
> station in the next or even in one's own grid is pretty much the same as
> working one 8,000 miles away. Perhaps a maximum distance score per

You're clearly unfamiliar with distance scoring:  The distance is
calculated between your grid and the other stations grid, not the
distance your signal travels, regardless of mode.

The Makrothen contest has been run this way for a long time:
http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch/The_Makrothen_Contest/The_Makrothen_Contest.html

I agree with another poster that said there needs to be a commonly
agreed upon calculation for calculating distance between two 6-char
grid-locs, though, given that different geodetic systems.  Pick one
and make sure everyone uses the same mathematic algorithm and be done
with it.  Necessary, but not a big deal.