Re: [VHFcontesting] Any other rovers running MSK144

To: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Any other rovers running MSK144
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:50:25 -0800
Hi Sean.   I power my 300 watt 6 meter portable station and 300 watt 2M station
from a very similar setup.   (Two separate 12 volt 100 AH AGM VLRA batteries,
charged as needed with a 15 amp battery charger powered by an inverter which is
in turn powered by the vehicle electrical system.)

I typically run the laptop for digi modes on it's own internal battery to keep
noise to a minimum.   I also charge the laptop from an inverter as needed.
When operating the radios I like to have engine in the truck shut off and all
the inverters turned off as well.   This contest I also discovered that
charging my IPhone from a small portable battery pack also generated RF noise.

My 6M amp is actually rated at 375 watts but in practice I'm ok with getting
300 watts when running from battery power.   I use one battery to run the amp
and the other to run the radio.

 I find the batteries typically only last 5 to 7 years so in the long run a
generator may be more cost effective, but for now I'm happy with the battery
solution.

Hope to work you on the air at some point.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

Sent from my iPhone