Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest....

To: Walt Murphy <n2wm@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest....
From: K7XC Tim Marek <k7xcnv1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:57:53 +0000
The point folks that you all have missed is the new FT8 mode gives people
with NO CW SKILLS the power of CW without having to learn it. It also
automates most of the process making it easier to multi-task on the various
web sites while  begging for more Qs.

The real problem with FT8 is that it's over used, especially by people
trying to work adjoining grids. I was lucky to work grids on 6M that I
don't normally hear due to the Sierra NV mountains between myself and the
stations in CA, OR, and WA. I doubt I would have heard let alone worked
them on SSB as few of OPs are able to do CW anymore.

This year there were many rocks to use most of Saturday and Sunday morning
making MSK144 a perfect choice to snag new 6M Mults.  FT8 made alot of long
Tropo contacts across the mountains much easier to accomplish.

So, Overall activity has been up due to the new modes which is a good
thing. Now the real issue starts... Educating folks when to use FT8 and
when not to. Abandoning SSB/CW completely is not something I endorse nor
wish to see happen.

So talk to the new OPs you heard and worked during the contest and have an
honest dialog about the subject as EDUCATION is the key to the improved
future of VHF Contesting/DXing, Not complaining and conflict.

Your mileage may vary...

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

Adapt, Overcome, Succeed!