Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:42:19 -0700
> Hi Alan.  That is useful info re the ic910.  I'm just curious what
> type of batteries are you using.
>
> I've had considerable success running my ic7300, FT736, multiple
> Icom706MkiiG's, an icom 735 IF radio, 300 watt amps on 50 and 144 MHz,
> transverter, etc..  from two 12 V 100 AH Agm style batteries.

  Over the years it has varied, but typically I would have 25 - 30 amp
hours of sealed lead-acid batteries in parallel with the starting battery
of the diesel VW.  Solar would be attempting to hold that up.

> I took another 100 AH battery with a solar panel with me during the June
> contest and used it to run an inverter that in turn powered the battery
> chargers for the computers and also powered another charger to top off the
> two radio batteries.  I had ample power for approx 6 to 8 hours of
> operation including some MSK144 at close to full power on 50 MHz.

  When operating from a small motor home, I have used 200 AH of battery
feeding an inverter feeding a switching power supply to run the rig.  In
the more space limited Volkswagen, a small Honda generator has proven to
be the most convenient option.  (This includes consideration of the
difficulty of getting all the items inside the Jetta.)

  For low power operation, I would still choose solar if available, but I
wanted full power from the rigs.

        Alan