Re: [VHFcontesting] Log Periodic ?

To: Jay Lubliner <ironclaw@live.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Log Periodic ?
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:27:32 -0700
I've used tri plexers with my smaller LPDA on occasion (in one case I cascaded
two together) to eliminate the need to switch cables.   I'm quite sure there
were losses but if one is prepared to accept the gain of a typical LPDA then in
my view at least the losses in the tri plexers probably are not a major issue.

I don't view this as a replacement for single band yagis.   It is fast to setup
and I've made qso's in the 150 mile plus range on 144 and 222 MHz without much
issue.

It's also a handy "spare" antenna that I've had to use when single band yagis
haven't been functional (the LPDA has yet to fail.)   In my experience an LPDA
is considerably more effective in a typical contest than a mobile whip which
would be my other alternative to a failed yagi.

Your mileage may vary (:

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ