Re: [VHFcontesting] Log Periodic ?

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Log Periodic ?
From: K7XC Tim Marek <k7xcnv1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 21:21:27 +0000
A LPDA is a compromise antenna at best. On top of that I don't think their
made to use on a full-time Rover. That is alot of money for a compromised
solution.

The real question is are you willing to trade off convenience vs gain
during your ROVER trip.

When I was a competitive ROVER I built a heavy duty frame in the front of
the bed of either my F150 or Ranger Trucks out of 1/4 inch thick 2" wide
Aluminum Angle then mounted Heavy Duty Thick Wall Mil Surplus Aluminum Mast
on each side to hold yagis on one side and omni loops on the other. They
were always in place while driving. Use heavy duty mufler clamps with
NYLOCK nuts to make sure nothing rattles loose while on the road. Th use of
NYLOCK nuts everywhere is highly encouraged.

In the middle was a third mast on a pivot base that allowed me to install a
guyed 30ft mast with a 6M Yagi and rotor while guyed to the four corners of
the truck. Each bumper has a heavy duty eye bolt in place for just such a
purpose. This let me do a quickie mountaintop portable operation and leave
the tower trailer at home. It also allowed more antennas like a 1296 looper
on those few times I had it along.

In the cab mounted on the front of the seat I had 3 coax switches for
changing between 2, 222, and 432 loops or yagi's while driving while 6
Meters best antenna was a KB6KQ loop mounted to mast secured to one of the
rear corners of the bed  I NEVER setup additional antennas EVER as TIME is
your enemy when contesting, it finite and precious so dont waist it doing
multiple setups and tear downs.

To Me the Cost, Gain, and Pattern of a LPDA makes it a no brainer... My
answer is NO! Use real yagi antennas. One thing I always did was make my
own for pennies on the dollar out of quality materials easily obtained from
Texas Towers and shipped to your door. 10ft long booms are your goal after
all this is a ROVER and you maximize everything you can, within reason.

Another key tip to using Yagis while driving down the road, REMOVE ALL THE
REFLECTORS... This will sacrifice little gain but give you a nice lobe off
the back that is better than stacked loops and will get you contacts
quicker yet not require you stop and turn the vehicle the other direction.

Also, Never forget to have verticals for FM on every band you can as you
will drive by many people who monitor 146.52 and will QSY to 223.5, 446.0
and 1294.5 when asked to. Its all about the mults folks....

A competitive ROVER platform is more than just throwing radios in the car
for the weekend. It takes months to think through what your trying to do
with the items you have on had. Here good planning is key to avoiding
failure on the road.

Again, My personal observations from someone who has done this style of
contesting long and hard over 20+ years.

Your Mileage may vary...

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

Adapt, Overcome, Succeed!