[VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone? version 4

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone? version 4
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:12:55 -0500 (EST)
Hopefully this works, 4'th attempt. The reflector stripped the attachment, the
embedded Excel file was too big and the cut/paste Word file lost formatting. So
I attempted to type it in the email below. Hope it looks okay. If anyone wants
an Excel or Word file of the chart I'm happy to email it directly.

I'm doing some research and digging for data about the recent thread associated
with the effect FTx has had on traditional weak signal modes (ssb/cw).

In the process I noticed a dramatic decrease in both Limited Multi  and
Unlimited Multi activity and scores (September VHF Contests) in the mid-late
2000's and again in 2015. The authors of the results write-ups noted this as
well but didn't offer an explanation (unless I missed it).

Why??? FT8 didn't begin till 2017 (according to that write-up). Remember, I
only looked at the September results! 2015 was the first year allowing use of
spotting in all categories (spots, chat rooms, email, text, phone, etc.).

See chart below. I had a little difficulty getting all the #'s if it wasn't
mentioned in the write-up - scanning and counting results - I may have missed a
few either way, scores were rounded.

Thoughts?

73,
Ed K3DNE
LM= Limited Multi, UM=Unlimited Multi.

Year    #LM   Avg. Score LM Top 10   #UM   #LM+UM     Avg.Score UM Top 10
Cum. Avg. Score Top 10 (LM+UM)
2000     53                246K                     23          76
        468K                                         714K
2005     33                296K                     29          62
         695K                                        991K
2010     23                 78K                      26          49
          277K                                        355K
2014     41                 97K                      40           81
          152K                                        249K
2015     17                 75K                      14        31
         97K                                         172K
2017     21                 54K                      15           36
           83K                                          137K
2018     22                 45K                      15           37
           62K                                          107K
2019     22                 54K                      17           39
           60K                                          114K
2020*    21                 48K                     12            33
          57K                                          105K